January 15, 2013

Stay Cool with Calculus - Part 1

Some time in August 2012, or earlier.

I wanted to teach my Primary 5 son some Calculus. He's not a nerd and I didn't know Calculus myself. We were doing it just to test how cool he can be in the face of  some supposedly "scary" problems.

My purpose was clear: just 2 or 3 inspiring real-life problems, 2 or 3 simple formulas or procedures, just 1 or 2 hours.

I had read about how Calculus can be used to calculate optimum prices etc. I had also read about Einstein's gratitude to his childhood textbooks: simple, easy, general, introductory, user-friendly, kid-friendly, (in his hand-written translated diary, to be accurate.)

Many outsiders realize it can be beautiful and desire to see its beauty with their own eyes:








That is taken from "Calculus Made Easy" The 1998 Edition's introduction by Martin Gardner

Can you find such a book easily in our modern days? Excluding the Khan Academy or any online stuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Tip for Job Search: Gold Rush Skills

  If you need to make some money very quickly, what would you do? Your answer points to the kind of problems you can solve. They give you so...