January 9, 2013

How to Be Lucky in Your Study

A few weeks back, I seemed to be in a winning streak; all my programming projects got done without any major glitch. I was not that lucky with programming before, and thus I happened to become more self-aware: I kept asking, "What's happening? What was I thinking? What belief underlay this action of mine?" etc.

The following is a list of my thoughts that I managed to gather in those luck breaks:

  1. "It doesn't matter." Here I'm dismissing a failure on my part, instead of feeling guilty or shameful or desperate. Then, I found that it really did not matter because I could find a work-around or I found I could solve it later or I found I didn't have to solve it at all.
  2. "There's time, I'll learn it tomorrow."
  3. "There must be a better book or approach, I'll find it soon."
  4. "I'll do it my way, I'll invent, conjure up, cook up some funny solution that however works!"
  5.  "There's nothing in the books or on Internet for this problem. It's for me to fill this gap in human knowledge. Since I'm first, whatever I do is automatically better than Zero/Nil/Zilch etc."
  6. "I cannot solve this. But no one has solved it either. So no one has advantage over me."
  7. "This is a wrong problem to solve. Anyone who tries to solve this will get bogged down, tied down, and suffer."
  8. "I have no clue. I'll bluff my best and move on."
  9. "I have no clue. I even don't know how to bluff. I will switch my brains and do blind, purely random variations."
  10. "I'll give up and move onto what works. Will import what works."
One size doesn't fit all, of course. Such thoughts may not even work for me in a different context.

Yet the results, I noticed, were so good that I must remember to give them a try any time I encounter a hard nut to crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Tip for Job Search: Gold Rush Skills

  If you need to make some money very quickly, what would you do? Your answer points to the kind of problems you can solve. They give you so...