December 19, 2012

Effectiveness :Roadmap

How can we be personally more effective? Whatever your role ( an intern, a front line manager, a VP, a CEO, a president, a teacher, a scientist, a general, or a cop ) increasing your effectiveness is the surest way to survive any layoff and to increase your wealth and peace of mind.

Effectiveness is defined here as 'having/getting some effects.' The implicit but obvious assumption is that these are the effects you desire.

I break down the whole issue of personal effectiveness into four key areas.
  1. Am I doing the right things? How do I know what are the right things for me at this time in this situation? Do I do this first or after this or after that?

    Such questions can entail tremendous consequences.
    e.g. Shall I invade Russia?
    Shall I attack Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad as well as Caucasian oil fields --- all at the same time?
    Shall I pass Health Care reform bills or create jobs for Americans, which one for the next six months?
    Shall I dominate the market first or just release buggy Windows?
    Should I acquire Sun Microsystems or Oracle?

    Or the consequences may be trivially small:
    e.g. Shall I learn Ruby or Python?
    Shall I get my hair cut now or tomorrow? Silly?

  2. Once we know the right things to do for you now,
    How can I do this faster?

  3. How can I do this cheaper, using less time, less money, less effort, fewer resources etc?

  4. How can I do this better, that is, for better quality? Fewer defects? Higher reliability?
    I wont throw at you - Six Sigma jargons, Lean jargons or TPS jargons.

I will expand on these areas in my weekly posts.

Thank you. I am polite and won't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Tip for Job Search: Gold Rush Skills

  If you need to make some money very quickly, what would you do? Your answer points to the kind of problems you can solve. They give you so...